Getting started on that home build or renovation project you were planning in 2020 may seem impossible or ill-advised during the current pandemic. But if you’re in the financial position to do so, we believe there are a number of benefits to beginning the process and even launching into that dream project right now.
Clients should rest assured that the construction industry is fully operating with governments and industry associations doing all that they can for that to remain the case. Companies are diligently changing their operations to ensure public health and safety and iConstruct are following all the government guidelines to ensure the wellness and safety of our workers and clients at all times.
Why build now?
If you have the financial means and you were hoping to build or renovate in 2020, now is still the right time act. There are a few reasons for this…
- Land and house prices are currently stagnating and don’t look like they’ll increase over the next few months. With interest rates at record lows, there is simply no better time to invest into that dream piece of real estate.
- Construction is providing a much-needed boost to the economy — if the industry does shut down our nation could be in big financial trouble for years to come.
- With disruption to international construction supply chains, material prices will no doubt start to increase when shortages occur. Secure the prices and the materials now.
- Construction sites are currently open 7 days a week and public holidays. With a well organised and experienced builder, there will be very little chance of delays and project over runs, getting you into your brand new home sooner than you could have possibly imagined.
- With many people panicking, retreating and putting a hold on their projects, when the pandemic is over there will be a huge bottleneck of people wanting to proceed and get construction underway, resulting in more disappointment and a further waiting period.
- Tradesmen are readily available, working around the clock and harder than ever before, in fear of not securing more work. Your builder will have a pick of the bunch.
- If you were planning on renting while your home is renovated or constructed, you have a pick of the rental market at seriously reduced costs, providing further savings.
- You have the option to put your mortgage on freeze for 6 months — speak to your lender to see what your options are. When else would you have the opportunity not to pay your mortgage and still keep your home?
How we’ll operate from now on
For our clients, we are limiting face-to-face contact and moving towards digital meetings during the initial design and consultation stages, something the industry should have been adopting a long time ago. Contracts will also be administered digitally. During inspections or any meetings, which need to take place on-site and in person, we’ll be adhering to social distancing and following all government and industry guidelines
On site, our team are adhering to social distancing, keeping tool-sharing to a minimum, wearing protective sanitary equipment and mandatory hygiene practices are being enforced, inclusive of hand wash stations upon entry and exit to site. Our trade teams are also routinely screened for illness. Our sites are running with a maximum of 6 people at any one time, 7 days a week.
What you can do right now
During this home-bound period, you’ll have much more downtime than usual, which means you can get on top of the planning and documentation of your home, a process which can be long and sometimes demanding.
If you’re looking to find the perfect team for your build, most builders and designers will have a social media presence and website where you can explore previous projects and read their testimonials. Do your due diligence and make sure the team is the right fit for you and your project.
Once you’ve settled on your team, then you can start on the design process. Through video chats and phone conversations, a designer (with consultation from the builder) will be able to take your ideas and transform them into working drawings. If you want to make your building process stress-free and simple, it’s great to also decide on specifications and fixtures early on, so that you know from the start the costs involved, use this time now!
At iConstruct, we like to be involved as a consultant in the design from the outset, offering our insights into material selections, finishes and construction methods, whilst also doing thorough site investigations, looking for anything unforeseen. We’ll provide you different cost scenarios along the way, ensuring that the design does not run away and aligns with your initial budget, giving you peace of mind that those horror variation and budget blowout stories don’t happen on your project.
Don’t waste your time in isolation, be proactive and use the situation to your advantage. Be ahead of the game and everyone else because never before have you had the opportunity to focus on that dream home like you have now.